Our History

Simpson, Jensen, Abels, Fischer & Bouslog, P.C.

In 1927, Gregory Brunk and Peter Janss formed the Brunk & Janss Law Firm. Gregory graduated from Drake Law School in 1917, and was the firm’s senior partner from 1927 until his death in 1965. Mr. Brunk funded the start of the Drake Law Review and, through his estate, provides continued funding for the Review. He is recognized with a statement on the first page of every issue.

The following decades saw many hard times with the Great Depression and World War II. For the firm, it saw the rise of many influential and important attorneys. In the 1930s, attorneys Oliver Bennett and Otto Bauch joined the firm. Mr. Bennett became the Iowa Insurance Commissioner. In the 1940s, A.L. Wensel and Robert Dreher joined the firm and the name was changed to Brunk, Janss, Wensel and Dreher. In the 1950s, George A. Wilson, Jr. and Marvin Adams joined the firm and the firm became Brunk, Janss, Dreher, Wilson and Adams. George Wilson became one of Iowa's most successful legislative lobbyists, and because of his efforts we now have liquor sold in Iowa's grocery stores. His father was Governor of Iowa and a U.S. Senator.

Iowa Supreme Justice Charles F. Wennerstrum was a member of the firm. He had served as Nuremberg war crimes trial judge after World War II.

The firm was legal counsel for the construction of the Alaskan pipe line and the Saudi Arabian highway by Greene Construction Company then one of the world's largest construction contractors.

After founding members Brunk and Janss passed, the firm became known as Dreher, Wilson and Adams. In 1972, Dick Jensen joined the firm. Lyle Simpson joined the firm in 1984. In 1987, Marcus Abels joined the firm. In 1988, Gary Fischer joined the firm. Scott Simpson joined the firm in 1993. Soon thereafter the firm name became Dreher, Simpson and Jensen, P.C. John Bouslog joined the firm in 2005. In 2007, Jack Pennington joined the firm.

In 2010, the firm changed its name to Simpson, Jensen, Abels, Fischer & Bouslog, P.C. The firm is located in Capital Square in downtown Des Moines.